email: [email protected]
phone: (812) 606-9823
- Technology: education about privacy, security, & technological choice; open source
- Programming: Python, Perl, Ruby, Node.JS, HTML
- Philosophy: Descartes, Kant, Wittgenstein, St. Augustine, Sartre, Camus
- Cooking: Thai food, barbecue, grilling, Dutch Oven baking, Campfire cooking
Bloom Insurance Agency / Bloom Marketing Group (Bloomington, IN)
IT Director, 2007 - Present
- Oversee day to day IT operations. Ensure all projects are moving forward. Help stuck projects get back on track. Plan new projects.
- Manage a staff of 2 systems & network engineers, 5 full time programmers, 4 intern programmers, 1 systems administrator, 1 product project manager, & 3 database developers.
- IT Budgetary planning
- Software life cycle planning
- Managed telephony servers directly
- Managed email services directly
- Implemented a multiple server split-horizon DNS configuration using BIND, and multiple views
- Oversaw the successful migration from CommunigatePro (email server) to Zimbra
- During the spring & summer of 2011, I oversaw the development of a new product line: an iPad application used in Medicare Advantage sales. Designed and oversaw implementation of the entire stack: software architecture & testing, database modeling, server & network infrastructure.
- During the summer of 2013, I oversaw the development of an additional new product line: a web application designed for accepting, processing, and submitting Medicare Advantage applications over the web, from the call center, or with an agent assisting.
- Successfully automated several previously manual processing, including multiple data integrations with several clients and many many third party systems.
- Singlehandedly manage Apple Enterprise Developer Account
- Converted manual build processes for the iPad application to a continuous integration model. Continuing to push the envelope towards continuous deployment using Jenkins and Octopus deploy.
- Successfully implemented multiple new clients with integrations to various 3rd party systems.
- In 2012, 2 new clients were added to the call center, as well as a large National Marketing Organization between July 1 and Oct 15. Each new client implementation involved integration with at least 2 different 3rd party systems.
- In 2013, 5 new clients were added to the call center between June 1 and Oct 15. Three of the new clients were working with the new Affordable Care Act, and 3rd party integrations were abundant.
Finelight (Bloomington, IN) - acquired by Bloom Marketing Group in 2009
IT Director, 2008 - 2009, IT Manager, 2006 - 2008, Systems Engineer, 2003 - 2006
- Responsible for day to day maintenance of server, network, & telephony infrastructure.
- Administered the call center PostgreSQL database, including ETL, data modeling, and reporting.
- Managed multiple email servers.
- Implemented a DNS configuration with multiple BIND & Windows DNS server.
- Programmed multiple applications for various lines of business, including a call center contact application (VB6) that included screen pops on inbound calls, and automated OB dialing as well as a Java application that grabbed recordings from the call center PBX, tagged the recordings with meta data from the call, and place the recording on a secure web server for clients to log into and retrieve.
- In 2003, instrumental in migrating the call center from an in-house text-based call center application that was built on a de-normalized data model to a WinForm based application that was build on a normalized PostgreSQL database. Worked closely with the predictive dialer vendor to fully integrate the new application.
- Spearheaded the complete replacement of the legacy antiquated PowerPC based Linux servers to newer Apple Xserve G4 Servers & Intel x86 based Linux servers.
- In 2005 / 2006, oversaw a 2nd implementation of a new call center system. Migrated the data from PostgreSQL to SQL Server 2005. Installed and configured reuqired Windows 2003 servers for the new calling system, including an IIS server, a SQL 2005 Server, and 2 Active Directory domain controllers. In addition, I designed and implemented a new VoIP network for carrying the calls for the new call center system.
- Continued call center growth caused the call center to change locations again in the summer of 2007. I coordinated the movement of the workstations, server infrastructure, and multiple DS3s over the course of 2 weekends with minimal lost production time.
- Designed and implemented the network, server, and telephony infrastructure for new branch offices in Chicago IL, Jacksonville FL, New York NY between 2004 and 2007
Indiana University (Bloomington, IN)
Masters degree, French Literature, Spring 2002
Hartwick College (Oneonta, NY)
B.A., French, Spring 1996
- LPIC Certification, Level 1, Sept 2013
- Suse Certified Systems Administrator, Sept 2013
- Digium Certified Asterisk Professional, June 2010
- Skilled Linux / BSD administrator: I have singlehandedly built, configured, & managed over 200 different Linux, BSD, and OS X servers during my career. Skill Level: Master
- Network Administrator. Several years experience managing a converged Cisco network, including Catalyst switches, Cisco routers & Access Points, PIX & ASA firewall devices. Skill Level: Jedi
- Windows Administrator. Have deployed & managed multiple IIS & SQL Servers. Have deployed 2 different Active Directory installations. Skill Level: Padouin
- Proven effective manager. Over the course of the last 7 years, I've managed more than 30 different people in total. I currently manage a team of 13. Skill Level: Jedi
- Experienced database developer. During my tenure at Finelight / Bloom Insurance, I've learned the ins and outs of writing SQL. Skill Level: Jedi
- Motivated learner. Many of my skills have been acquired by self-study. I'm currently in the process of learning Python and enriching my understanding of front-end web development. Skill Level: Master
- Jack of all trades, master of some. There are few computing challenges with which I have been presented that I have not been able to overcome.
- Familiar with NetBSD, OpenBSD
- Experience with OpenSSL, GnuPG, Apache, Nginx, PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite, bash, tcsh/csh, ssh, sftp, git, mercurial, Subversion, Jenkins
- Excellent working knowledge of SMTP, IMAP, POP3. Have worked with Postfix, Qmail, Dovecot IMAP, Courier IMAP.
- Excellent working knowledge of DNS, including BIND and Unbound.
Available upon request